8.6.08

REVIEW: The Carter III Bootleg

Photobucket


So, this DJ named Chuck T from Charleston, South Carolina decides to do us all a favor and not only upload Lil' Wayne's new album for the freeski, but then he goes on to even claim his illegal move. Now, I don't do that kind of judging, but you have to admire the man's balls. Just for my own comfort, I'll call a safety NOLO on that one.

See, this is the most anticipated album this year, barring any chance that Dr. Dre will actually release Detox. I admit I'm looking forward to L.A.X. by The Game and Untitled by NaS. I don't know if Eminem is planning anything, but you can bet that Kanye is going to ride out his tour and say eff Def Jam until he's through caking up some mega millions. You can neither blame him or tell him nuthin.

So that leaves Lil' Wayne with a lot of pressure. And it's crazy that I've heard this album more than enough to review it before it drops and I didn't get it through a publicist. The Carter III, as a brand name product, is supposed to be super ill. You'd expect nothing less from a guy who dropped so many dope freestyles and mixtapes, with or without his consent. Maybe that was his grudge with the DJs, and maybe since they don't give a fuck, they decided to leak the album a week early. As if it probably hadn't already been done or wouldn't have happened.

I feel Wayne's pain, because of one simple fact. The Carter III is a dope ass album. Way better than I expected. And I'm somewhat shocked that nobody else is saying this so soon. I mean, I admit it took me a day to really get into the whole program of what dude was trying to say on the album, but when it all clicked, it made perfect sense. Well rounded, crazy but eerily sane and without one wack track. There's always at least one song on every classic album that doesn't fit into my own tastes, but who's to say that you won't love it? Matter of fact, I won't even talk about the one I don't like, because such a scenario is not so inconceivable.

What I will say is that from opening to close, C3 delivers. "3 Peat", the Cool and Dre-produced momentum builder, sounds like something Weezy just had to do for himself, which is the perfect precursor to the rest of the LP. It's not too dramatic, but it carries the weight he has invited upon himself. From there, we hear "Mr. Carter", featuring Jay-Z and boasting a Just Blaze beat and sample that seems meant for the two dueling rappers to call a truce and just rock for the people. Smart move, as far as track sequencing.

Then it's "A Millie." That shit bangs the fuck out, and if you don't agree, you need to upgrade from factory speakers. Baby Jr. mercks this one, and just because every other rapper (including Jay-Z) has tried to best him, no one owns it like the inventor. Score another one for whoever put together the track list.

Now, I'm not crazy for the T-Pain song that follows, but I guess Wayne felt like he owed the guy something in exchange for biting him (or is it Zapp & Roger Troutman?) on "Lollipop." But once that Babyface track comes in at #5, it doesn't even matter. Wow. Babyface?! Word?? WORD!!

From there, I have several other favorites, including "Shoot Me Down", "Nothing On Me", "La La La" and of course, "Let the Beat Build", which is an instant classic. Nothing short of great. One of those ideas that you would think someone else would have tried first, but isn't that what the fuck was so wrong with rap music until Wayne came around, with his 3-stacked styrofoam cup of syrup, multiple drug references and strange behavior (you already know)?

Again, there are moments on this album that didn't grab me like the ones above. But I'll be damned if this isn't better than I expected. I've looked at every mixtape after The Drought is Over 2 - The Carter 3 Sessions as just more freestyles and fake compilations. Once I heard "Did it Before", I knew that the album would be dope, because most of those songs were serious enough to have been contenders, and none of them would ever see Soundscan numbers. It's quite an achievement to be able to still create an album that sounds like pop art and Hip-Hop after having put out so much other shit that people got for free.

Then again, I think I just contradicted myself. After all, I haven't *yet* paid for the album, but this is one of those that I couldn't excuse myself for not supporting.

So go to Best Buy when it legally drops and get it for the lowski. Dude deserves to see some good numbers, and it'll definitely take you through the summer.

No comments: