17.6.08

Europe is the New Art Scene

Peace Everyone,

Currently, the US is still stuck on Asia for the new urban market. I've somehow have stumbled on the European music and trend scene. After years of Godzilla stomping through Japan, I'm starting to like Europe's scene. I'm completely unfamiliar with it. It speaks to me more than marveling at young Asian trend setters imitating what already exists in my subculture. I don't think the Asian urban phenomenon is great, it is innovative. But, innovation builds on what's already there.

I think young African-American celebrities latch onto Japan, Hong Kong, and Korea because they are narcissistic. They understand that the urban Asian subculture is imitating the nostalgic African-American subculture with a slightly different flair. You have young African-American celebrities parading around claiming, "I got the new hip-hop flavor from Japan. I know they are copying our style, but this is why it is different." I find no love in innovation and polishing of styles that copy without understanding the meaning behind the style. If you go to Japan and ask am average cat about his style, he couldn't give you a self-expressive reason on why he is doing it. I can also say the same here in the States. Young cats love Lil' Wayne not because he is a great lyricist, but his hype portrays him as being good. If they actually took the time to dissect what he is saying and how he is saying it, they would not revere his art. The young urban subcultures are following the life cycle of the Rock-n-Roll movement on a global level.

Anyways, here are things I've learned to love on my honeymoon experience with Europe:






No comments: