28.7.08

The Battles of The Year.

Remember when battling was the ultimate determinant on who was a better rapper? Battle rapping is the duel of wits and words or battle royale of syntax and style. Today, rappers are unwilling to battle with rap verses for numerous reasons. (1) Defeat in a battle that is high profile could possibly end your career. (2) Rappers do not want to alienate themselves from other rappers that they would collaborate with in making songs. Never know where people's loyalties lay. (3) They just don't see how the battle is financially rewarding. (4) Battle rapping exposes the lyrical ability of a rapper. If a rapper's skill is measured on how well he flows over a beat with lyrical complexity, then battle rapping probably wouldn't be beneficial for him.

There have been many newcomers or soon-to-be challengers to the crown in rap. I am appreciating them all for what they bring to the table. However, they are making it difficult for me to decide who should be the top dog in their pack. These rappers rise to the occasion at different times. They exude real personality. They are cats that would probably battle if provoked, but they won't battle because of their humility.

For the next few weeks, I am going to place them in a battle royale of skills. This battle royale will allow me to expose them based on their past and present works. I will not grade them on hard to define categories. I am only going to grade them on feel.

We negate feelings when we usually do comparisons. We make them clinical and scientific. With art, you cannot leave out feeling in your comparisons. Of course, I will dissect their works and give my opinion on their skill level and potential. I will even include my recommendations for what they will need to do to make it in rap.

Let the battles begin.

No comments: